Sunday, June 13, 2010

Persuasion (Annie here)

So this is conversation between the good running angel and the lazy devil's advocate that went on inside my head on Saturday morning. It was 6am, the alarm was sounding, and I was planning on running 7 miles.

It's time to get up! Time to run!
I don't want to.
Come on. You need to train.
I want to sleep.
But if you sleep, you might not be able to finish on Aug 7. How embarrassing!
But if I don't, I might get sick and then I won't be able to train at all.
Pleeeeease? You can eat cake tonight if you run.
You know I'll eat cake either way.
But if you run, you won't feel guilty going for that second piece.
. . . aaaaand I'm up.

Maybe that line of thought will help you beat your own morning blues:)

As for my run, the first 5 miles were REALLY hard. My legs were heavy and my lungs were tired. I was convincing myself that I would be an utter embarrassment on race day when I hit mile 5 and all of a sudden, I felt fine. I felt like I could run forever--not that I could run super fast or anything, but at least I started enjoying it! I was listening to a mix of Jack Johnson, Elton John, and Jason Mraz, which was a nice departure from the usual boom-boom-boom of my workout playlists. It made for a pleasant morning and I finished before the temp reached 90. Loved those last couple miles.

How about you? How do you convince yourself to get up and go when you really don't want to?

3 comments:

  1. Annie-
    I've been setting the alarm for 5:00am, and I know if I sleep much later, the sun will punish me... so I tell myself I can have a nice 80 degree warm run at 5:30, or I can wait until 7am and melt in the 100 degree heat.
    If I could only stop eating!!!! I've read that the more weight you can loose (to a certain extent) the faster you can run
    gotta go, the dumb dog just peed on my feet. why didn't i listen to the words from your blog??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suz,
    Whenever I feel sorry for myself in this heat, I'll think of you in AZ. Geez Louise, woman. 5am is serious. And the dog? Well, I tried to warn everyone. I keep thinking that maybe in 10 years, mine won't be so hyper and crazy. And maybe he'll learn where to pee by then. I hope it's sooner for you. If not, I'm thinking a boot camp is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm pretty much with you, annie, on the whole how-i-get-my-bum-outta-bed routine. i think it is fairly common knowledge that i only work out to support my eating habits. you and suz are so good to get out and beat that heat! man, i don't miss houston. i kind of feel like throwing up just thinking about going back to that humidity.

    ReplyDelete