OK, so I went to the gym like a good LL ("Lomas Lady") and was so pumped to start my training program. "10.5 weeks to go...I can totally do this!" I confidently thought. Never mind the extra junk in the trunk I've been carrying around for the past few years, or the fact that I'm more of a swimmer than a runner. I got on the treadmill and looked around to see if anyone was watching this important moment--the first run of my first day of training....three miles, 32 minutes and 37 seconds later I crawled off the treadmill and had to go lay down on a mat in the corner for, like, 15 minutes. I seriously could barely run 1/4 of a mile without feeling like I was going to pass out. In fact, I actually walked more than I ran. "How sad is this!?! I thought, "At this rate it will take me more than 2.5 hours to complete this 1/2 marathon...! "
For just a moment I thought that maybe I should back out now, before I was in too deep. "I can just tell the ladies that I'm "too busy"...or maybe I can come up with a plausible physical ailment ("I'm 47!")...but no, that pregnant lady is going to run with us, so I really have no excuse that anyone will buy. (Maybe if I say I'm 47 AND pregnant I can get out of this race...?) Hmmm, don't want to give my husband a heart attack, so I guess I'm in...all the way. So, here's to the next 10.5 weeks, lots of miles under my feet, hopefully unload some of that extra "me" I'm carrying around, and do something that I never imagined I could do...with ladies I love and am inspired by. A pretty good deal, even if I earn a few blisters and pulled muscles along the way.
-Jenn Kambourian
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jenn, I'm impressed with your time. When I start jogging I run a 15 minute mile... so I think you did great. keep it up!
ReplyDeleteyou're so funny, jenn. i'm impressed with your time, too! and i think you're really surprise yourself when race day rolls around.
ReplyDelete